Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Monday's Disaster, I Mean... Adventure

So, I guess I'm mean and selfish. But you already knew that, didn't you? Ha ha ha. But seriously, folks, I'm here to tell you about Monday's fishing fiasco that fortunately I was not involved in, but my poor husband and his Pops were.


Where we last left off, I mentioned MORE FISHING on Monday morning. Monday being Memorial Day. Now, all weekend long, Ma and I had planned that Monday would be our day, because we knew the guys were going fishing. AGAIN. We would start with pedicures (a tradition for us), lunch at Mimi's Cafe which recently opened in our area and is completely girly so most guys don't really want to go there (ours in particular anyway), and then to Target or Walmart to get Ma a couple of products I recommended - all before 3:00pm so we could get back in time to get the parents to the airport to catch their flight back home.


That was the plan, and we stuck with it.


The night before, we had arrived home from the beach around 6:30pm. David quickly jumped in to mowing the lawn, and Ma and I went to the store to get a few things we needed to make some cakes (yes, plural) that looked really delicious in a cookbook she'd bought on the way to the beach. We came back and I did a few chores in the yard also (got my roses done - woo hoo!), then started in on our cake making. We made a honey bun cake for breakfast, and a grasshopper fudge cake for just whenever we wanted to try a piece. As you can guess, it started getting late way too fast, and before we knew it it was almost midnight. The guys were upstairs in the man room watching a movie, and I still needed David to cut up the fish so I could get it bagged and in the freezer. Needless to say, the fish was cut up by 12:30am, but I was up until 2:30am bagging and cleaning up afterwards.


Sooo, the guys got up at 5:30am and headed out to the lake. Our boat is not all shiny and new, and in fact it was Pop's old bass boat which we bought from him in spring 2007 so we could at least get out on the lake until we could agree on what we both want. (Yeah, my fellow fishing widows probably know the argument... fish? or ski?) At any rate, it still looks pretty decent and runs alright, and it gets us out on the water.


Ma and I slept in a tiny bit, but got up relatively early and started getting ready for our big day. As we headed down the road to go get our pedicures, low and behold at about 10:30 my cell phone rings. It was David, and he informs me that he has a major problem and wants to know where I am. (This is the part where I probably appear a bit "mean".) I tell him we are on the way to get our pedicures. He proceeds to tell me that the boat trailer actually broke in half, and they can't get the boat out of the water and he may need our help. I ask him what I am supposed to do to "help" and he says that he needs to get someone to come out there and weld the frame back together. Keep in mind this was a holiday - probably not a whole lot of people working in that area. At this point, I am feeling a bit bitter (and probably a little PMS-ey) about all of the fishing and lack of Ma and I being able to really anything we wanted to. After all, we are women and we want to do girly things. And I'm also not knowing how on earth I could possibly help with anything - how would I even explain it? I can't drive the boat because it's older, complicated and I really just don't want to learn (because I am stubborn like that), and I can't back up the trailer yet on the ramp without it taking FOREVER either. If we had turned around and gone to the lake, we would have sat there all day, baking in the sun, running around like crazy, which neither of us fair-skinned beauties should be doing without ample sunscreen protection and cooler weather. (Ma is a survivor of melanoma, mind you, and I don't do well in the heat AT ALL.) Besides, it would have taken away our special time together, and I felt like the guys could handle something on their own for once. :o)


So, I suggested he call one of our neighbors and see if they knew anyone.


And we continued on our way and got pedicures. :o)


The pedicures were actually wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. After we finished, I called David and asked if he needed us, and he basically said to do what I wanted to do. That type of non-commital answer just fueled my desire to be stubborn and validated that they actually didn't need us, so we went to Mimi's. Lunch was also fabulous! We didn't hear a peep out of the guys until we were well on our way back home, after having stopped at Walmart and not finding what we were looking for. We got home, and it was coming up on 3:00pm. We had planned on leaving the house at about 3:45pm to allow plenty of time to make the 40 minute drive to the airport and get them through security (on a holiday travel day) in time for their 6:00pm flight. I knew the guys probably hadn't eaten all day, and since they still weren't home I decided to get everything in order so we could jump in the car and leave the minute they got back.


I got the car loaded up with their bags, and threw together a quick lunch for Pops that he could take with him in the car. We started getting antsy as we approached 3:45 and the boys still weren't home. But they drove up a few minutes later, and after a quick run through the house and a bathroom stop, we headed to the airport. We made it in plenty of time, they got right through security with no problems, and the rest of the day went smoothly. David snoozed all the way home in the car - we were both tired after all of the adventures of the weekend, and miraculously, my lovely husband didn't even get mad at me for choosing to spend a little time with his mom. :o)

As it turns out, David did call one of our neighbors, who recommended a towing guy who lives just a few blocks from our house. He cut David an awesome deal, towed the trailer to his shop, fixed it, and didn't charge us out the wazoo. So, it just goes to show that I did the right thing, and maybe I'm not so mean after all, y'all. (If you could see me, I have a huge grin spread across my face as I type this.) Life is good.

Yes, life is good.

No comments: