Friday, June 27, 2008

TGIF

(Niece Jenny and Me at Steph's Graduation. )
So, it's Friday evening and boy, am I glad this week is over. The last few weeks have been non-stop it seems, and I am ready to relax a bit (although I doubt that will actually happen). Back on June 5 (again, I am behind on the updates), I flew down to San Antonio to attend my oldest niece, Stephanie's, high school graduation. We were all very proud of her for meeting that goal. The graduation was held at a stadium and there were over 600 kids graduating, so it took quite a while. As far as the family attendees go, it was me, Mom, Barry (her dad), Jenny and Hayley (little sisters), and aunt Kathy and cousin Deborah (Kenny's wife and daughter). We got there about half hour before it started, but it was already packed to the hilt so we had to sit waaaayyyy in the back in the very top row. So, in other words, we couldn't see much.



I spent the weekend visiting the family, and that was really nice. We had everyone come over for dinner at Mom and Dad's that Saturday evening and it was fun to spend some time together. (Here's one of me and niece, Hayley, at the graduation.) We all sat in the living room and played Catchphrase, and I cooked a barbeque brisket and some settler beans, while Mom grilled some hot dogs for the kids. Of course, we also had a bunch of sides, including Mom's homemade potato salad, and I sliced up a huge watermelon and some fresh pineapple. We had quite the feast, and it was so good to see all my nieces and nephews (who are growing way too fast I'm afraid). Of course, I also enjoyed seeing my two brothers, siblings-in-law, and my parents. Sometimes it is hard living so far away, but I always cherish and enjoy my visits home.
When I got back from that trip, I started a new experience... riding to work in a Van Pool. This has been a MAJOR adjustment for me, because I have to BE at the parking lot and in the van by 6:45am every morning, and it takes between 10-15 minutes to get to the parking lot from our house. And if you know me.... you know that I am a serious night owl and I am soooo NOT a morning person (nor am I one to be "on time"). Getting up at 5:15am has definitely been a struggle. However, I am doing it, and it's really nice to not have to drive the 40 mile commute to work every day. Not to mention I am saving a ton on gas. The van only costs $76/month to ride, so I am saving probably about $400 a month on gas with these outrageous prices we've got to deal with. So I guess the dark circles and bags under my eyes and the endless yawns are actually worth it. And I am REALLY excited to say that our little town is finally putting in a Starbucks! Even better - it's right down the parking lot from where I meet the van! Soo... maybe those early mornings will soon become a bit more bearable when I can sit and relax while sipping on a peppermint mocha on my way in to work. (That is, if I can get my lazy butt in gear early enough to stop and pick one up in time!)

Anyway, we had planned on bringing Dad out to visit us for July 4th (he actually would have arrived today), but due to some health issues he has been having we have had to postpone his visit. We were really looking forward to having him here, and I know David really wanted to spend some time with him since he hasn't seen Dad in quite awhile. So, since he wasn't able to come see us right now, we decided to bring Stephanie out to visit for two weeks - kind of a semi-graduation present. She will arrive on Monday afternoon, and I will be spending this weekend finishing up the guest room and cleaning the house. I'm planning on teaching her a bit on how to cook since I'm sure it won't be too terribly long before she is out on her own trying to fend for herself. I have no doubt we will also spend some time out on the lake boating and fishing, and we have a neighborhood block party/barbeque on our cul de sac for the 4th. We also will be doing the big fireworks display out on our street for the neighborhood, so that should be fun. Maybe we will even take a quick trip out to the beach... we'll see.
As for me, I'm looking forward to the short work week next week. I have a lot to do to get ready for the 4th, but it will be nice to have the extra day off. I am sure we will make the most of the long weekend and enjoy Steph's time visiting with us.

So, kind of a boring update this time, but honestly that's all of the excitement going on here. David has been busy as usual working his tail off. When he's not at work or out on the lake fishing, he's either in the yard working on his garden or the lawn, or he's upstairs in his man-room playing Xbox Live or watching TV or a movie. He is also training to run the Outer Banks Marathon in November, so he runs on the treadmill about 4-5 times a week. Pretty soon, he'll be starting his "long runs" outside. While he's doing his thing, I am usually flitting around the house between the kitchen, laundry, cleaning something, and sitting here goofing off on my computer. A very exciting life we lead. And I wouldn't have it any other way. :o)

No comments: